We have all seen movies where a door is opened by a credit card, or other flat piece of material – deadbolts are designed to prevent this. Many wonder “why are deadbolts so important?”, it is a good question, and the answer is simple. Deadbolts are important as they provide safety in various situations. The most important aspect is that deadbolts add a layer of security to your home or commercial property.
Deadbolts are important in providing sound home security. If you live in an area that experiences high crime rates, it is important to keep your doors locked at all times. Installing deadbolts will ensure that no one can enter your property without your authorisation. There are different types of deadbolts available, so you should speak to your local locksmith to see which is best suited for your property.
The different types of deadbolts include:
- Single-cylinder deadbolts – these are the most common, and are likely what people picture when they think of a deadbolt. These bolts have a lock cylinder on the exterior of the door, and a thumb-turn on the inside.
- Double-cylinder deadbolts – these are designed to provide greater protection on doors near windows, or with glass inserts, and feature two lock cylinders on both the interior and exterior of the door. Double-cylinder deadbolts prevent thieves from smashing a nearby window or the glass in the door itself and turning the thumb-turn of a single cylinder deadbolt.
- Renter’s bolts – mainly used in buildings such as apartments or rental homes, a renter’s bolt is a deadbolt with no exterior cylinder, only driven by a thumb-turn on the interior side of the door. Therefore, making the locks completely pick proof, as there is no way for someone outside the door to override it.
- Electronic deadbolts – electric deadbolts function similar to single-cylinder deadbolts; however, they have the added convenience of using a PIN or button to cause an electric battery-powered motor to let the bolt open or close.
- Smart lock deadbolts– these types of deadbolts are a recent invention, designed and developed only a few years ago. Smart lock deadbolts work like an electronic deadbolt however you can control certain functions with your smart phone or a wireless device.
If you opt for a good quality deadbolt lock, you will have peace of mind knowing that if your property was compromised, no one will be able to get inside as your lock will be powerful. It is important to remember that even though they are effective at keeping thieves out, they are also effective at keeping your home and family safe.
At Nearby Locksmiths, your emergency locksmith Coogee locals trust, we have the expertise to install the best quality deadbolts to your property. Our main priority is keeping our clients’ homes and commercial property safe and secure, give us a call on 0458 152 057 for more information.